10,000 Feet Up

14114561_1196286847060265_1092571898_o.jpg

I’m writing this post in the airplane somewhere between Richmond and Atlanta.

What a day!

Thank you everyone for your prayers this morning. When we got to the airport we checked our bags and none of them were over 50 pounds. This was a huge concern for me because we had been checking them at home and kept getting different amounts on different scales. We had four scales and were praying the lowest one was correct! So each bag made it to the conveyer belt, tagged for Johannesburg, and then it was time for our boarding passes. The clerk was receiving a hold restriction on our tickets because we did not have visas for South Africa and our tickets showed we would be there longer than the allowed 90 days. We explained we were just traveling through South Africa and our final destination is Lesotho where we plan to get visas within the next few weeks. After an hour at the check in desk, several messages to our team, and scrambling to find some documentation to prove we were telling the truth, we were finally let through. I want to praise Tyler for how he handled this situation and thank Brett for helping outright as he was boarding his plane from Mississippi to Atlanta. God is good and has certainly given us the best team.

Thankfully we had gotten to the airport early so we still had time to say our goodbyes, get through security, and enjoy a quick lunch. Saying goodbye (really it was “see ya later”) was difficult but I could feel the presence of God guiding us and giving us courage and peace to take the steps away from our family.

14021510_1217408244956413_8079417374433257158_n.jpg

The security line was empty. I told one of the men, “I like this a lot better when there are less people.” He said we just missed a big rush and that we “had impeccable timing.” My goodness that was not our timing, that was God’s timing. It was low stress and we were able to take our time getting five pieces of carry on luggage and ourselves through the security line. Praise God!

Lunch was delicious and were able to read everyone’s comments and messages that they were praying for us. Believe me when I say, we felt every one of them as God was showing himself to us!

We are about to land in Atlanta. Next task is to meet up with the Barnhill’s and enjoying our last meal in America! Then onto the 15 hour fight to South Africa! We cannot believe this day is here.

So thankful.

And taking a step back for a second. This weekend was more than we could have ever asked for. Saturday we were able to spend time with my younger brother, Tanner, after his summer away and before he went back to Tech. We had the most amazing night of worship and prayer with our church family and enjoyed even more time with close family that night. Sunday we were prayed over in every service by our entire church and had our last goodbyes with friends. My older brother and his wife surprised my parents by coming in town for the day and we were able to enjoy one last visit with our whole family together (until Christmas). Monday we split ways and knocked all our errands off the list and packed the entire afternoon and into the night. Both our parents helped us finish up and got everything we wanted in the bags. We had a great dinner with them and just enjoyed being together.

We are so thankful to love and to be loved by so many! This distance does not change the love we have for all our family and friends back in Virginia! We love you all and as one of my good friends said, “see ya on the flip side!”

14088483_1196177000404583_4569573514764890602_n-3

With Love,
Tyler & Rachel

Advertisements

12 thoughts on “10,000 Feet Up

1. Kathie Davis August 23, 2016 / 10:55 pm

Praising the Lord with you! Please know that all of us in the Living Beyond Bible Study class at Cool Spring will be praying for you as you settle in there in Lesotho.

On a personal note my husband and I are envious and wish we were in Africa with you. Your post of the events of the day as you started your journey were reminiscent for us.

Praying for you as you travel and settle in to your new home.

Liked by 1 person

2. Gramma August 23, 2016 / 11:55 pm

Love hearing from you! I’m thinking about you constantly and praying Father’s words for you as you travel!! I’m so excited for what lies ahead. Enjoy every second of your trip!! Father is in it all!!❤️❤️❤️❤️ Love you
    Gramma

Liked by 1 person

3. Holly Davis August 24, 2016 / 12:00 am

You are both amazing! I feel blessed to know you both
    . Tyler you made such an impact on my Chase with your amazing summer programs. The children of Lesotho are so blessed to have you and Rachel coming into their lives. God does have a plan for you both and amazing things are in store for both of you. Best Wish and God bless you both.

Liked by 1 person

4. Judy reaves Taylor August 24, 2016 / 12:25 am

Prayers for your travels and safety in country. I was reading a magazine this afternoon our church offers seniors. There was an article about Lesotho and missionaries named Jim and Teresa Flora. Wondering if you will be working with them.
    All my love to you both.
    Great AUNT judy in appomattox.

Liked by 1 person

• rmgoins15 August 24, 2016 / 6:11 pm

Yes Aunt Judy, we will be working very closely to the Flora family!

5. Lyndi Wells August 24, 2016 / 12:31 am

I wish you the very best experience in Leso- tho as you follow God’s mission for your life and His glory. Rachel and Tyler, you are wonderful people and a magnificent couple. The smiles on your faces show how much you love God, your families, and what God has blessed you with by following His call. I will be praying for you and following your blog.

Liked by 1 person

6. Amy Feurer August 24, 2016 / 2:34 am

Prayers for you and your new adventures! So proud of you!

Liked by 1 person

7. Alisa August 24, 2016 / 2:58 am

Beautiful words from a beautiful heart! Praying for a smooth rest of the journey! Love you!!

Liked by 1 person

8. Steve August 24, 2016 / 12:46 pm

Love reading your posts! Keep’um coming and safe travels!

Liked by 1 person

9. Gloria August 24, 2016 / 7:00 pm

Hi Tyler and Rachel!

Have been praying for safe travels and that all would go smoothly! Thanking the Lord for His faithfulness!

Glad you both had special time with your family before leaving! Have been praying for your families, too!

So excited to see what God will do through your obedience to go where He is leading you! Looking forward to reading your blog as you serve in Lesotho! 🙂 Thank you for letting us share in your journey!

Blessings,
    Gloria

10. Dale Lucy August 27, 2016 / 5:35 pm

Tyler & Rachel…praying for you all and that our Glorious God will multiply every seed you plant in Lesotho and wherever you go! He can do that! On another note, as it comes to your mind, would you please pray for my niece, Anna, her husband Robert, their little son Joshua, and my sister Marie as it seems that Anna is nearing the end of her struggle and battle with cancer on this earth. Please pray for God’s sweet Peace and Presence for all! Love you and look forward to all the updates!