Hello Africa.

Time for a confession, with all of the emotional valleys of saying goodbye to family and friends I was ready to leave the country for a while.

Goodbyes are really hard for me.

My prayer throughout this whole season has been finding peace in the midst of goodbyes and joy in the face of sacrifice. Getting through the cloud of sadness has been my hearts cry. My longing was for peace to come on the other side of a 16 hour plane ride.

Once again God has proven to me how unfathomably good and gracious He really is.

The peace in our hearts did not come after the goodbyes ended and our “new life” began, God showed himself during the goodbyes and gave us His peace throughout all of the tear-filled times of “see-ya-laters”!

“The Lord is near to all who call on Him, to all who call on Him in truth.”
Psalms 145:18

I need to learn to start praying bigger prayers.

And then the plane landed…

This past week in South Africa and now in Lesotho has been filled with so many unexpected, but wonderful, joys. We have had challenging times of Bible study and prayer with Brett and Allison. We have dug into the promises found in God’s word and begun seeing more clearly His vision for this ministry and our place in it. I have learned how to drive on the reverse side of the car and road. Rachel conquered grocery shopping at unfamiliar stores and has purchased supplies for weeks at a time (we are four hours from the closest grocery store). The list goes on and on.

We are getting into the swing of things here, and if I was to answer honestly, Rachel and I are a lot more comfortable and confident in our ability to live here than we ever thought possible. And we are only a week in.

Bigger prayers Tyler, bigger prayers!

The next step for us is making contact with the care centers and getting to know the people we will be working closely with over the next few years. We are so excited to see the kids again and to begin pouring into their lives, and the lives of the women at the centers. It’s why we came here.

Please lift us up in prayer for the next week as we begin the work. Pray that we will be able to unify with our Reclaimed team, as well as with the IMB (International Mission Board) team as well.

Also pray for our hearts to stay humble and find joy throughout everything we encounter as we begin learning culture, language, and how to live a missional live here in Lesotho!

With Love,
Tyler & Rachel

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “Hello Africa.

1. Jenny September 3, 2016 / 2:56 pm

Praying for you every day!!
    Jenny Thomas-Wright

Liked by 1 person

2. Kathie Davis September 3, 2016 / 3:47 pm

We in the Living Beyond class at Cool Spring Baptist Church are praying for you as you settle in and adjust to what God has sent you out to do in His name.

Liked by 1 person

3. judijackson September 3, 2016 / 4:41 pm

You’ve got the big picture covered! Now immerse yourselves in the day to day … you will know and see God using you!

Liked by 1 person

4. Liz Glover September 3, 2016 / 4:54 pm

So how much toilet paper does one buy for weeks at a time?๐Ÿ˜‰
    Glad you are doing wellโ˜บ๏ธ

Liked by 1 person

5. Gramma September 3, 2016 / 5:39 pm

My heart is overflowing after reading this!!!! (I didn’t get this before I talked to you all.) You are soooo right! – bigger prayers!!! Father is so good to answer abundantly beyond what we ask or imagine!!
    Enjoy living the great journey Father had for you as you pour out His love in you to others there!
    I love you bunches!!!๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ™

Liked by 1 person

6. Mary Atkins September 3, 2016 / 6:36 pm

So glad to hear y’all are doing good. Y’all are so wise beyond your years. Y’all are in my prayers. Love read your Aventures doing God’s work.

Liked by 1 person

7. Darlene September 3, 2016 / 7:11 pm

Just to say that as I promised, “I am holding your ropes!” So very happy that you are finding joy and peace in that place. Teresa and I spoke about that and she is even now on her way home. I continue to pray and love reading your reports!!! โค

8. jantom6 September 3, 2016 / 8:28 pm

What beautiful thoughts, Tyler. We are praying for you, that you will rise above your circumstances, that God will bless your efforts, giving you enough trials to make you dependent on Him, and enough joys to outlast any trial. Love you guys!

Liked by 1 person

9. Lyndi Wells September 3, 2016 / 9:35 pm

So glad to hear you two are adjusting well. I am very impressed with Rachel’s grocery shopping. Four hours away is quite different than “running out” to pick up something you need. I am also happy to read that you feel even more blessed to be serving in Lesotho now that you are there.

God has equipped you both well for doing His work. I will pray for continual joy, peace, fulfillment, and purpose for both of you.

God bless you! !

Lyndi Wells

Liked by 1 person

10. Lisa Holinka Barba September 4, 2016 / 9:29 am

Beautifully written. U r in for the adventure of a lifetime, u have God, each other, and the children, what more could one ask for. God Bless both of u. Just know we are all praying for the both of u to reach the people of Africa. I look forward to ur future posts!

Liked by 1 person